More wicked than the wicked stepmother in Cinderella, more evil than the evil queen in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Sleeping Beauty’s Maleficent embodies pure darkness, sending shivers down the spines of children and adults alike.
More than 60 years after the release of Sleeping Beauty, Disney is finally giving the queen of mean a chance to tell her side of the story in her own feature-length live action film. Angelina Jolie stars as the titular villain as she goes from a protector of the forest to hateful harridan, cursing princess Aurora (Elle Fanning) to eternal sleep.
Here, the cast and crew of Maleficent give a little background into their characters and the movie’s twist on an old story.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart