Only a few in the surfing community know about the miles of untouched golden sands, the clear waters and, most importantly, the rhythmic pounding of perfectly-formed waves that can be found in Liberia.
But Robertsport, a fishing village in north-west Africa, is building a name for itself as one of the best surf spots in Africa, the AFP reported.
“It’s picturesque! This is a little bit different from what of most people imagine when they hear Liberia,” said Sean Brody, part of the Surf Resource Project.
Indeed, while the African country has been recently known for gruesome civil wars that spanned two decades and left more than 200,000 people dead, surf tourism is slowly picking up and the country is gaining a global reputation for its spectacular beaches and waves.
In the video above, both local and foreign aficionados talk about what’s so special about Liberia’s coast.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time