Here are the stories TIME is watching this Tuesday, May 27:
- The University of California, Santa Barbara will hold a memorial for those killed in a rampage near campus last week.
- Violence erupted in Ukraine just days after elections ended with Petro Poroshenko picked as president.
- New data released by the British Satellite Company Immarsat suggests Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 ran out of fuel in the remote Southern Indian Ocean.
- Don’t hold your breath! A 22-year-old caused a car crash while playing the classic breath- holding game in a tunnel.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- The Red-State Governor Who's Not Afraid to Be 'Woke'
- Jonathan Van Ness: We Are Still Not Taking Monkeypox Seriously Enough
- The Not-So-Romantic Return of Europe's Sleeper Trains
- This Filmmaker Set Out To Record Her Family’s Journey Rebuilding Afghanistan. Her Work Is a Reminder of What’s at Stake
- Why Sunscreen Ingredients Need More Safety Data
- What Historians Think of the Joe Biden-Jimmy Carter Comparisons
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma