The infamous dog that attacked a four-year-old child only to be fended off by a heroic cat in an episode caught on video has been put down, TMZ reports.
The dog, Scrappy, a mix between a labrador and a chow, was euthanized by animal control in Bakersfield, Calif. on Saturday. TMZ reports that the dog was aggressive even during his stay at the center, where he tried to attack staff members.
The video of the incident has been viewed more than 21 million times since it was uploaded to YouTube on May 14.
But thousands of people had signed onto online petitions like this one requesting that the dog, who was voluntarily surrendered to animal control, not be euthanized.
Tara, the “hero cat” who launched herself at the dog in the video, threw out the first pitch at a minor league baseball game last week.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science