The murder trial of Oscar Pistorius commenced in South Africa’s Pretoria on Monday where the former Olympian plead not guilty to myriad charges being leveled against him, including murder.
The double-amputee athlete is accused of killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp during in the early hours of February 14 last year. According to Pistorius’s account, he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder, while prosecutors insist he intentionally shot her after an argument.
The run-up to the trial has received massive media coverage in South Africa and the proceedings are being broadcast live. If convicted, the prosecutors have signaled that they would seek a life sentence.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer