The murder trial of Oscar Pistorius commenced in South Africa’s Pretoria on Monday where the former Olympian plead not guilty to myriad charges being leveled against him, including murder.
The double-amputee athlete is accused of killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp during in the early hours of February 14 last year. According to Pistorius’s account, he mistook his girlfriend for an intruder, while prosecutors insist he intentionally shot her after an argument.
The run-up to the trial has received massive media coverage in South Africa and the proceedings are being broadcast live. If convicted, the prosecutors have signaled that they would seek a life sentence.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time