A technology blog is warning Verizon Wireless customers of a new scam that uses a Technical Support number to trick people into giving up personal information to fraudsters.
“A scam company seems to be masking calls to users with the number, asking that they head over to a third party scam site that probes for their login info and who knows what else,” the droid-life.com writes. “As you can imagine, it’s likely tricking many if it’s showing up as official looking as “Technical Support.”
The Verizon Wireless number the scammers are using, (800) 922-0204, shows up as a saved number on customers phones. Users are told they have received $54 from the company before being directed to a bogus website verizon54.com, according to the blog. At the site users are prompted to enter personal information. The site has been blocked on Google Chrome browsers.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State