Here are the stories TIME is watching this Monday, May 19:
- AT&T will buy DirecTV for $48.5 billion in an attempt to keep up with Comcast.
- The United States formally charged Chinese military officials of economic espionage. This marks the first time the U.S. has charged state actors for explicitly acting at the behest of a foreign government in cyber crimes.
- Flooding in the Balkans continues with heavy rains threatening to unearth buried land mines.
- A holographic Michael Jackson came back from beyond the grave to perform at the Billboard Music Awards.
The Brief is published daily on weekdays.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out