A massive radioactive monster unleashed an equally massive box-office victory this weekend as Godzilla claimed the top spot with a $93.2 million haul, per data from Box Office Mojo.
The mega monster reboot, starring Bryan Cranston, Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen, stomped all over the expectations of industry analysts, who predicted the film would only make about $70 million, USA Today reports.
There’s one foe Godzilla can’t seem to squash, however — Captain America: The Winter Solider barely held on to its title as 2014’s king of the opening weekends after making $95 million on release last month.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up