Godzilla, the King of Monsters, has amassed quite a bit of canon over 60 years of film. From Japanese pop-duo The Peanuts summoning Mothra in Godzilla vs. Mothra, to the comic relief character Godzooky in the 1980s Hanna-Barbera cartoon, Godzilla’s lore extends far beyond his nuclear origins. Before Godzilla terrorized San Francisco in 2014’s iteration of the film, he fought King Kong, found a replacement and even tempted North Korean leader Kim Jong Il to kidnap the ones behind the monster movie magic.
Watch the above video for more ‘Zilla facts.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What Wildfire Smoke Does to the Human Body
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- How Past Lives Combines Memoir and Artistry
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk