TIME Senate

Scott Brown Set to Announce Senate Campaign This Week

Sen. Scott Brown on Capitol Hill in 2012.
Scott Brown on Capitol Hill in 2012. Alex Brandon—AP

The former Massachusetts Senator, a prolific Republican fundraiser who won the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat in 2010 against Martha Coakley then lost it to Elizabeth Warren in 2012, is expected to officially announce his bid in New Hampshire on Thursday

Former Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown will officially announce his bid for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire on Thursday, he said in an email sent to supporters Monday.

The announcement-of-the-announcement was long expected for the Republican lawmaker, who will be up against Democratic Senator Jeanne Shaheen.

“As I’ve travelled across the state and added miles on my truck, I’ve heard the same concerns at every stop,” Brown wrote in his e-mail. “You’ve told me you want a stronger economy with more good-paying jobs. You want a government that doesn’t spend more than it takes in. Most of all, you want a health care system that works for New Hampshire – not one that leaves you with higher premiums, cancelled policies and fewer medical options.”

Brown won the late Ted Kennedy’s Massachusetts Senate seat in a 2010 upset against Martha Coakley. He then lost the seat to Elizabeth Warren in 2012. Brown is known as one of the most prolific Republican fundraisers, making him an attractive candidate for national Republicans who want to unseat Shaheen.

The first fundraiser for Brown’s Senate campaign is set for Monday night, the Boston Globe reports.

TIME bob filner

Former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner Done With House Arrest

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner Entangled In Sexual Harassment Scandal Holds News Conference
San Diego mayor Bob Filner announces his mayoral resignation to the city council on July 26, 2013 in San Diego, Calif. Bill Wechter—Getty Images

Bob Filner's months-long house arrest stint is over, the result of pleading guilty in December to charges of felony false imprisonment and misdemeanor battery regarding claims of sexual harassment, but he now faces three years of probation

Former San Diego Mayor Bob Filner’s house arrest came to an end Sunday after 90 days of home confinement.

The 71-year old former mayor was sentenced in December to house arrest after pleading guilty to felony false imprisonment and two counts of misdemeanor battery involving victims of sexual harassment, the Associated Press reports.

Filner resigned just nine months after he was elected Mayor of San Diego amid a flurry of allegations that he groped and kissed women without their consent. He will serve three years of probation following his release, which will likely make it difficult for him to seek public office anytime soon.

[AP]

TIME Immigration

Most Immigrants Deported Under Obama Had Thin or No Criminal Record

Records show most of the two million immigrants who have been expelled under President Obama since 2008 either had minor traffic violations or no criminal record at all, despite the administration's strategy of going after people hurting their communities

Most of the 2 million people who have been deported under President Barack Obama were expelled after committing minor infractions, despite Obama’s promise that his administration was targeting immigrants who were threats to the community.

The New York Times found in an investigation of government records that two-thirds of immigrants deported from the U.S. since 2008 committed minor traffic violations or had no criminal record at all. Another 20% — about 394,000 people — had a criminal record or faced drug charges.

Obama previously said his administration’s immigration enforcement strategy would go after “criminals, gang bangers, people who are hurting the community, not after students, not after folks who are here just because they’re trying to figure out how to feed their families.”

Deportations for traffic violations (including driving under the influence) have quadrupled since Obama took office, while deportations for entering (or re-entering) the country illegally have tripled.

In the last year of the George W. Bush administration, immigrants who were deported for nonviolent offenses were returned to their home country but not charged. The Obama administration reversed that policy, filing charges in 90% of such cases. Those charges prevent immigrants from returning to the U.S. for five years under threat of prison time.

[NYT]

TIME Obesity

Here are the Fattest (and Fittest) Cities In the U.S.

A new study by Gallup finds the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton metropolitan area that straddles West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio is the most obese community in the U.S.; Boulder is named the slimmest for the fifth time in six years

A Gallup study has found that the Huntington-Ashland-Ironton metropolitan area is the most obese community in the U.S.

The Gallp-Healthways Well-Being Index found that 39.5% of the adult population of the area, which straddles West Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio, are overweight. Other problem communities are McAllen-Edinburg-Mission (38.3%), Tx., and the Hagerstown-Martinsburg metropolitan area (36.7%) in Maryland and West Virginia.

Boulder, Colo. remains the city with the lowest obesity rates in the US. Just 12.4% of Boulder’s residents are deemed overweight — the lowest of any community surveyed in the U.S. Also in the top three were Naples-Marco Island (16.5%), Fl., and Fort Collins-Loveland (18.2%), Colo.

Boulder has had the lowest obesity rate in five of the last six surveys conducted since Gallup and Healthways began conducting the study in 2008.

Nationally, the U.S.’s obesity rate jumped to 27.1% last year, the highest Gallup has recorded since tracking began six years ago.

[Gallup]

TIME celebrities

Hollywood Icon Mickey Rooney Dead at 93

The colorful, diminutive actor was known for his consummate performances in more than 200 films across eight decades, making him one of the most successful child actors cum movie stars in the history of cinema

Legendary Hollywood actor Mickey Rooney died at 93 Sunday at his Hollywood home while in the company of his family.

Rooney died of natural causes, the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office told the Associated Press.

The colorful, diminutive actor was known for his consummate performances in more than 200 films across eight decades, making him one of the most successful child actors cum movie stars in the history of cinema.

(PHOTOS: Mickey Rooney: A Look Back at His Early Life in Pictures)

Rooney’s notable roles include his portrayal of Andy Hardy in 20 Hardy Boys films. He also acted alongside Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s and more recently with Amy Adams and Jason Segel in The Muppets.

Rooney is survived by his eighth wife and his nine children.

[AP]

TIME Military

You’re in the (Shrinking) Army Now!

Army

With its ranks being slashed, and the pressure to find recruits easing off, the U.S. Army is tightening up on tattoos, dental grills and grooming, and no longer issuing waivers to recruits who have used drugs or committed similar no-nos

In the bleak days during the war in Iraq, the Army was hungry for troops. So the service eased up on some of its grooming standards and issued waivers for recruits who had used drugs or committed similar infractions that used to be sufficient to keep them out of uniform.

But after peaking at 570,000 troops in 2010, the Army is now slated to fall to as low as 420,000 over the next several years — a reduction of more than 25%. And that means the Army is getting increasingly picky. So waivers are disappearing, along with some of the relaxed personal-appearance regulations that the Army tolerated during its toughest years fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The new regulations, issued last week, clamp down on tattoos, haircuts, sideburns, fingernails, teeth and jewelry.

Tattoos are a big deal in the military. But from here on out, tattoos are barred from a soldier’s head, face, neck, wrist, hands and fingers (existing tattoos in those locations are permitted). Any enlisted soldier with such tattoos will not be eligible for promotion to warrant officer or officer ranks.

Also controversial are rules for female hairstyles, which some soldiers say are “racially biased” against minorities. More than 13,000 people have signed a White House petition seeking to change the Army’s new ban on hairstyles that include “twists, both flat twists as well as two strand twists; as well as dreadlocks, which are defined as ‘any matted or locked coils or ropes of hair.’”

The tightened regs “give soldiers and leaders the responsibility for ensuring our appearance reflects the highest level of professionalism,” says Lieut. Colonel Justin Platt, an Army spokesman. “All adjustments made within these regulations went through an extensive decisionmaking process with continuous input from various levels of Army leaders.”

Among other excerpts from the new regulations:

  • Males may not wear nail polish.
  • Attaching, affixing or displaying objects, articles, jewelry or ornamentation to, through or under their skin, tongue or any other body part is prohibited.
  • The use of gold caps, platinum caps or caps of any unnatural color or texture (permanent or removable) for purposes of dental ornamentation is prohibited.
  • Unnatural shaping of teeth for nonmedical reasons is prohibited.
  • Soldiers are prohibited from willful mutilation of the body or any body parts in any manner. Examples include, but are not limited to, tongue bifurcation (splitting of the tongue) or ear gauging (enlarged holes in the lobe of the ear, which are beyond the post hole size for conservative earring wearer, no more than 1.6 mm).
  • Soldiers are not authorized to wear wireless and nonwireless devices like earpieces while wearing Army uniforms.

And, in a sure sign the nation is returning to a peacetime Army:

“Personnel on official travel and traveling by commercial travel means will wear the service uniform or appropriate civilian attire. Combat uniforms are no longer authorized.”

TIME Crime

100 Arrested After Santa Barbara Spring-Break Party Turns Violent

Near the University of California, Santa Barbara, a spring-break party turned serious when police sent tear gas into a rioting crowd and the festive atmosphere turned violent. More than 100 people were arrested throughout the day and evening, and 44 were hospitalized

A spring-break party near the University of California, Santa Barbara, descended into violence on Saturday as police showered crowds with tear gas.

More than 100 people were arrested throughout the course of the day and evening, and at least 44 people were hospitalized, CBS reports. The police deployed “chemical agents and less lethal foam projectiles” in order “to disperse the crowds,” according to a statement.

The incident began at 9:30 p.m. at an event that drew about 15,000 partyers, who vandalized street signs, lit small fires and damaged law-enforcement vehicles.

Six officers were injured, including a UC Santa Barbara officer who was hit in the back of the head with a backpack containing alcohol and a sheriff’s deputy who was hit in the face with a brick. At least 44 people were hospitalized.

[CBS News]

TIME

U.S. Navy Rescues Sick Baby From Sailboat in Pacific

Eric and Charlotte Kaufman with their daughters, Lyra, 1, and Cora, 3.
Undated photo of Eric and Charlotte Kaufman with their daughters, Lyra, 1, and Cora, 3. Courtesy Sariah English —AP

A U.S. Navy frigate reached an ill child in a sailboat far off the Mexican coast Sunday whose parents had sought to circumnavigate the globe

A U.S. Navy warship arrived Sunday at a sailboat hundreds of miles off the coast of Mexico in order to rescue a sick 1-year-old girl whose parents were attempting to circumnavigate the globe.

On Sunday the frigate USS Vandegrift reached the 36-foot Rebel Heart, where Charlotte and Eric Kaufman had issued a distress call three days before when they found their young daughter sick with a fever and a rash, reports USA Today. A crew from the California Air National Guard parachuted into the water Thursday and stabilized the girl until the Vandegrift arrived.

The 1-year-old girl was taken aboard the Vandegrift along with her parents and 3-year-old sister for medical treatment in San Diego, the Associated Press reports.

The couple and their children were almost 1,000 miles from Cabo San Lucas after setting out from San Diego to circle the globe, and did not have steering or communication abilities. In a post on the couple’s blog eight days after setting out, they called the trip “the stupidest thing we have ever done.”

[USA Today]

 

TIME Crime

Fort Hood Shooter Wasn’t In ‘Right Mind’, Father Says

Ivan Lopez Sr., the father of the alleged Fort Hood shooter, said his son could not have been "in his right mind" during Wednesday's deadly shooting. "I ask for prayers for the affected families, even more so when there is still an ongoing investigation," he said

The father of Spc. Ivan Lopez said Friday his son must have been out of his mind to go on a rampage at Fort Hood, killing three soldiers before shooting himself.

“This situation has caused great pain,” Ivan Lopez Sr. said in a statement. “I ask for prayers for the affected families, even more so when there is still an ongoing investigation. My son must not have been in his right mind. He wasn’t like that.”

The statement said Lopez—who lives in Guayanilla, Puerto Rico—is still in shock, and described his son as a “calm family man.”

Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire Wednesday at several locations across the central Texas army base, reportedly after a heated argument with other soldiers over the denial of family leave. Sixteen soldiers were wounded in the attack, 10 of whom have since been released from hospital and returned to duty.

Lopez, who was being treated for anxiety, depression, sleep disturbance and a variety of other issues mental issues, bought the .45-caliber Smith & Wesson handgun used in the murders at a local gun store March 1.

[USA Today]

TIME Law

Send in the Drones: Judge Tosses Case Against Obama Officials Over Deadly Strikes

Predator Drone
Maintenence personel check a Predator drone on March 7, 2013 in Sierra Vista, Arizona. John Moore—Getty Images

A federal judge said that U.S. officials can't be "held personally responsible in monetary damages for conducting war." The drone attacks in question killed U.S. citizens in Yemen, including an al-Qaeda cleric

A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit Friday against Obama administration officials that was brought by family members of U.S. citizens, including an al-Qaeda cleric, killed in drone attacks in Yemen.

District Judge Rosemary Collyer raised questions over the killings without due process during oral arguments last July, but ultimately ruled that the plaintiffs could not bring a case against individual officials.

The “defendants must be must be trusted and expected to act in accordance with the U.S. Constitution when they intentionally target a U.S. citizen abroad at the direction of the President and with the concurrence of Congress,” she wrote. “They cannot be held personally responsible in monetary damages for conducting war.”

A drone strike in Sept. 2011 killed U.S.-born al-Qaida head Anwar al-Awlaki and propagandist Samir Khan, and another one killed al-Awlaki’s 16-year-old son a month later.

The lawsuit was filed against then-Defense Scretary Leon Panetta, then CIA-director David Petraeus and two Special Operations commanders by the father of the elder al-Awlaki and the mother of Khan.

[AP]

Your browser, Internet Explorer 8 or below, is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser