Eight ways to inspire yourself to get to the next level in life, with links to the research behind them:
- To have meaning in your life you need a story. You need to reflect on how things could have been and why they turned out the way they did. Seeing that things had a direction and a purpose provides meaning.
- Can’t figure out what your long term goals are? Imagine your funeral.
- To make radical changes in your life you need the support of friends.
- It’s not over until it’s over. Losing can lead to winning.
- Need something to help you act in line with your beliefs and values? To make sure you stay you? Buy a mirror.
- You might not need a to-do list. You might need a not-to-do list.
- Stop worrying about what other people think. They’re not paying attention to you. In fact, there is no “they.”
For more on the best way to be both happier and more successful, click here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 195,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
TIME Ideas hosts the world's leading voices, providing commentary and expertise on the most compelling events in news, society, and culture. We welcome outside contributions. To submit a piece, email email@example.com.