From the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide to the world’s largest elections in India, to UConn’s NCAA victory and millions of tulips in bloom in Amsterdam, TIME presents the best pictures of the week.
Investigators are racing the clock to find the plane before its black boxes run out of batteries. The official overseeing the search said he is "optimistic"
Signals from a site deep in the Indian Ocean picked up by an Australian naval vessel Tuesday have led investigators to believe they’re closing in on the site of the lost Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.
“I’m now optimistic that we will find the aircraft, or what is left of the aircraft, in the ‘not-too-distant future,’” said Angus Houston, the Australian official overseeing the search. “But we haven’t found it yet, because this is a very challenging business.”
The search area has now been reduced to an area of 22,364 square miles, roughly the size of West Virginia, located more than 1,000 miles northwest of Perth, Australia.
The search for the Boeing 777, which vanished with 239 souls aboard on March 8, has neared a critical stage as time runs out to locate the plane before the battery life expires in its “black boxes,” which send off the signals authorities believe they’ve picked up. Batteries on the black boxes are designed to last roughly 30 days, an expiration date that passed Tuesday. Once authorities have determined to stop using the ping locator that scans for black box signals a drone submarine will be deployed to painstakingly create a sonar map of the search area seabed, something that may be “not far away,” Houston said.
Locating the boxes once the batteries have run out would be extremely difficult, perhaps impossible, according to the Associated Press.
“Hopefully in a matter of days, we will be able to find something on the bottom that might confirm that this is the last resting place of MH370,” Houston said.
The costs of the international search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 continue to build a month after the jet disappeared with 239 people aboard
The search for missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 has already cost $44 million, according to a new report, and that figure could reach well into the hundreds of millions before the search is over, making it the most expensive search in aviation history.
The $44 million figure, based on a Reuters estimate, includes money spent by the United States, China, Australia and Vietnam alone, but not spending by the other 22 countries that have contributed to the search. The figure is based on estimates of hourly costs of the various assets dedicated to the search. More has been spent in one month searching for the missing plane than was spent in two years searching for Air France 447, which crashed in the Atlantic in 2009.
So far, Australia has borne the brunt of the expenses, since it is leading the search in the southern Indian Ocean off the western coast, but Prime Minister Tony Abbot indicated there may be some financial settling up in the future. “It’s only reasonable that we should bear this cost—it’s an act of international citizenship,” Abbot said last week. “At some point, there might need to be a reckoning, there might need to be some kind of tallying, but nevertheless we are happy to be as helpful as we can to all the countries that have a stake in this.”
Search ships retrieved objects from the Indian Ocean and Chinese aircraft spotted debris, but they have not been connected to missing MH370
Two ships involved in the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 retrieved objects from the Indian Ocean Saturday, but officials haven’t yet connected the finds to the lost airliner.
A Chinese plane, meanwhile, spotted other debris matching the colors of the missing Boeing 777, but that find also has yet to be linked to the jet, the Associated Press reports. The debris spotted Saturday was white, red and orange in color, according to Chinese media reports. The missing Boeing 777 is red and white.
Three weeks have passed since MH370 disappeared after leaving Kuala Lumpur for Beijing. Investigators have identified a large zone where the jet may have gone down, most recently combing an area about 2.5 hours from Perth, Australia. However, the reason the jet flew far off its intended path and its current location remain a mystery.
Here’s the latest update from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, which is coordinating the search for MH370:
New satellite images that may show debris from the missing Malaysian Airlines flight seem to keep popping up, but search planes keep drawing a blank
The latest clue in the two-week search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jet comes from a French satellite, which has picked up images of what may be debris from the Boeing 777 in the southern Indian Ocean.
In a statement Sunday, Malaysia’s Ministry of Transport said the country had received images from French authorities “showing potential objects in the vicinity of the southern corridor.” Search efforts have been focused on this area, southwest of Perth, Australia, after both Chinese and Australian satellites picked up evidence of objects floating in the area in the past week, the Associated Press reports.
No evidence of the missing flight MH370 has been found, although searchers discovered a wooden pallet of the sort used when loading some airplanes. The airliner has been missing since March 8 after vanishing while en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people, most of them Chinese nationals, on board.
Authorities say the search could be hampered Sunday by a tropical cyclone in the vicinity.
With the mysterious disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 entering its second week, Malaysian children turned an airport wall at Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur airport into a colorful and emotional plea for the passengers’ safe return.
Background checks on 154 people aboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 show none are linked to Uighur Muslim separatists
China’s ambassador in Kuala Lumpur said Tuesday that the country has completed background checks on all of its nationals who were aboard Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 and found no links to terrorism.
Ambassador Huang Huikang said that background checks on the 154 Chinese passengers aboard flight MH370 did not uncover any evidence suggesting they were involved in an act of terrorism, the Associated Press reports. The announcement came after speculation that Uighur Muslim separatists from far western China might have been involved in the plane’s disappearance on March 8. Malaysian authorities are investigating the backgrounds of the pilots and ground crew and have asked intelligence agencies from countries with passengers on the plane to conduct background checks on its citizens.
More than a week after the plane’s mysterious disappearance, the search area has expanded to encompass an area almost the size of theUnited States.
On Tuesday, furious Chinese families threatened to go on a hunger strike until the Malaysian government releases more information about the plane’s disappearance. Ten days after the plane went missing, families vented their frustration and China criticized Malaysia and Malaysian Airlines for not providing relatives of Chines passengers with more definitive information. “China has all along demanded that the Malaysian side and Malaysia Airlines earnestly respond to the reasonable requests of the Chinese families,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said, according to Reuters.
The search for the plane has expanded across a massive area of the Indian Ocean, which has some of the deepest waters on Earth. The AP reports that Australian ships alone are searching 600,000 square kilometers (232,000 square miles) of the ocean, and U.S. and Indonesian planes and ships are also searching for the missing plane.
A report in the New York Times suggested that the missing Boeing 777 made its first off-course turn to the west after a heading change was entered into the aircraft’s flight computer, a move that requires advanced knowledge of the plane’s flight systems.
A new report suggests the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 made its first off-course turn to the west after a heading change was entered into the aircraft's flight computer, a move that requires advanced knowledge of the plane's flight systems
The missing Malaysia Airlines airliner first deviated from its set flight path following an entry into its flight computer, according to a new report.
The New York Times, citing “senior American officials,” reports Flight MH370’s first unexpected turn to the west was made “through a computer system” in the aircraft’s cockpit. That revelation is significant because changing the aircraft’s route via the flight computer requires a more intimate understanding of the Boeing 777’s flight systems than manually manipulating the control yoke to change heading.
Commercial jets and other large aircraft typically travel the skies via a system of waypoints, each identified by a five-character code. Those waypoints are manually entered into an aircraft’s flight computer so the airplane’s autopilot system can fly the desired route. Pilots can insert new waypoints into an aircraft’s flight computer to change the aircraft’s course midflight if asked to do so by an air-traffic controller or for other reasons.
The Times report suggests that someone on board the aircraft did indeed enter a new waypoint into Flight MH370’s computer. However, it remains unclear whether the waypoint change was made before or after the flight began.
The Wall Street Journal reported last week that data from the aircraft indicated “someone made a manual change in the plane’s direction.” That report, though, didn’t specify whether someone on board the plane had made a change in the aircraft’s flight computer or used the aircraft’s yoke to change its direction.
Flight MH370 has been missing since disappearing from radar screens on March 8, triggering a huge search operation that currently involves 26 nations. Many theories have been considered to explain why the plane would go so drastically off course in the absence of much solid evidence.
[The New York Times]
From the search for missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 and a deadly explosion in New York, to a feline beauty show in Romania and high heeled, pole dancing robots in Germany, TIME presents the best pictures of the week.
Officials in several Asian countries are frustrated with Malaysia's handling of the hunt, with questions of why there’s so much contradictory information
Frustration at the sluggish rate at which the Malaysian government is releasing updates on the missing Malaysia Airlines plane has rapidly turned into suspicion — with China, echoed by voices in Vietnam and even inside Malaysia, demanding explanations as to why so much of the information released from Kuala Lumpur has been vague and contradictory.
It has been six days now since MH370, carrying 239 passengers, vanished over the ocean en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur. The absence of solid information released by Malaysia, which is leading the search, has been filled with bursts of wild conjecture from officials and media that have compounded the anxiety, confusion and grief of relatives and friends of those missing.
Air-force chief General Rodzali Daud was quoted in local media on Tuesday saying that the plane had changed course toward the Strait of Malacca, sparking rumors that it may not have crashed. Later, however, he denied making the statement, despite a high-ranking official confirming the report. Then on Wednesday, Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said officials had detected radar signals that they thought might be from MH370, but that it had taken them four days to release the data.
Vietnam, one of the first countries to join the hunt for the plane, is among those growing increasingly frustrated by Malaysia’s messaging. Local and international media have spent the past three days lingering in airless rooms at the air-traffic-command center on Phu Quoc Island, southwest of Ho Chi Minh City, awaiting updates. But they have gleaned little. Vietnam has deployed planes and ships to aid the operation, and on Thursday morning scrambled four aircraft following the release of Chinese satellite images that appeared to show large chunks of debris floating in the South China Sea. Pilots returned having spotted nothing.
China’s subsequent admission that the images were released “by mistake” has added further strain to a search operation unprecedented in both size and its extent of multiparty cooperation. Beijing itself berated the Malaysian government over Kuala Lumpur’s perceived stalling, with China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang stressing on March 10 that Malaysian authorities should “step up their efforts and speed up their investigation.”
The Malaysian government has defended itself, with Defense Minister Hussein telling reporters on Wednesday that “it’s only confusion if you want it to be seen to be confusion.” But it is receiving growing domestic flak. “Malaysians have come to accept that their leaders don’t answer questions,” prominent lawyer Ambiga Sreenevasan told the New York Times yesterday. “When you are not seriously challenged in any meaningful way, of course you get complacent and comfortable.”
Pre-existing territorial disputes have added to the tension, with key parties in the search operation — including China, Vietnam, the Philippines and Malaysia — already embroiled in hotly contested claims over the South China Sea. Moreover, the fact that 154 of the 239 passengers were from either China or Taiwan presents an added urgency for Beijing. An editorial in the Chinese state-run Global Times said of Malaysia’s failure to issue regular and clear details: “Malaysia’s grave inconsistencies on this vital information cannot but be a devastating blow to the outside world’s confidence in its core role in search and rescue.”
For Vietnam, which has no nationals aboard the missing MH370, the question of cooperation with Malaysia appears a sensitive one. When TIME tried to approach a senior Vietnamese official involved in the search to ask about Malaysia’s sharing of information, an English-speaking member of staff stepped in and said, “It’s not a question we will answer.”
Speaking on condition of anonymity, however, a junior official from Ho Chi Minh City’s air-traffic-control department dispatched to Phu Quoc to aid the effort later expressed bewilderment at Kuala Lumpur’s methods.
“I asked [Malaysian officials] for information about the flight path two days ago, and the information only arrived this morning,” he said today. “It’s all very slow, and I don’t know why. Six days without finding something is too long. It’s very strange.”
Data automatically downloaded from the engine of MH370 has led U.S. analysts to claim that the plane may have continued flying for four hours after the radar went blank. The Wall Street Journal, which first reported on the new finding on Thursday morning, said investigators were exploring the possibility that someone aboard diverted the plane, “with the intention of using it later for another purpose.”
Malaysia’s Hussein dismissed the claims at a press conference this afternoon, saying that the government, as well as Boeing and Rolls-Royce, which designed engines for the Boeing 777 aircraft, believed the Journal’s report was inaccurate. That response is likely to be contested by U.S. analysts, who believe the new findings warrant an expansion of the search operation beyond the South China Sea. The U.S. dispatched a naval vessel to the Indian Ocean under the assumption the plane crashed somewhere there.
In the brain room of the Vietnamese operation, analysts huddle over a laptop, updating on a map the shifting demarcation of the search area. Two enlarged maps hang on the wall behind them, one showing flight paths of various airlines over southwest Vietnam, another marking in white the blocks of sea that were explored today, and in green those that will be explored tomorrow. The pencil lines change regularly, but new information on the plane’s whereabouts is scant.
On the nearby runway sits a small seaplane readied for Friday’s search. Vietnam has sent craft from airports across its southern provinces, while China has assigned 10 satellites to survey the seas and deployed nine ships and four helicopters. “As long as there is a glimmer of hope,” said Chinese Premier Li Keqiang at a press conference on Thursday, “we will not stop searching for the plane.”