- Talking back is a good thing. It can make your kid smarter.
- Peer pressure is more often a good thing.
- You have no idea what’s going on in your kid’s head most of the time.
- Reading to your kids? You’re probably doing it wrong.
- Your child is right that more homework is probably a waste of time.
- There is no need to feel guilty about bribing your kid for eating their vegetables.
- That “Baby Einstein” stuff is a waste of time.
- Lying is a good sign. The earlier they do it, the smarter they are. Problem is you likely have no idea when your kid is lying to you.
- Proud that your kid acts fearless? Start saving bail money.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 147,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
Read next: The 3 Comments Adoptive Parents Hate To Hear
TIME Ideas hosts the world's leading voices, providing commentary and expertise on the most compelling events in news, society, and culture. We welcome outside contributions. To submit a piece, email firstname.lastname@example.org.