TIME celebrities

Listen to an Official and Radio Host Argue Over Johnny Depp’s Dogs in the Most Australian Interview Ever

'Doggate' has taken over the headlines and airwaves Down Under

The threat by Australia’s Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce to euthanize actor Johnny Depp’s dogs — after the screen legend brought them into the country by private jet, flouting quarantine laws — has provoked a backlash in Australia, with many believing that Joyce has overreacted.

But there’s probably no one as outraged as Australian radio host Kyle Sandilands, at least judging from his interview with Joyce Friday morning. Sandilands filled the airwaves with a torrent of abuse against the minister, calling him “a joke”, “a disgrace,” “a gerbil of a thing” and far worse.

Sandiland admitted that Depp had “done the wrong thing,” but argued that the tone of Joyce’s response was embarrassing, because the minister had earlier said that the dogs should “bugger off back to the United States.”

Said Sandiland: “You sound like an absolute clown telling the guy to bugger off to Hollywood or we’ll kill his dogs … You’re a government minister, not some idiot off the street mouthing off to a news camera. Have some decency.”

An outraged Joyce told the Sydney Morning Herald he had demanded an apology from the radio host.

“They beeped out words on the radio. Some of the language was far worse than [what has been reported], so we’re trying to get a transcript,” a spokesman for Joyce told the Herald.

Listen to the complete 3.5-minute interview in all its vivid Australian glory below.

TIME celebrities

Johnny Depp Is Going to Flee Australia With His Terriers to Save Them From Death

Actor Johnny Depp poses during a photo session ahead of a news conference for his movie "Mortdecai" in Tokyo January 28, 2015.
Toru Hanai—Reuters Actor Johnny Depp poses during a photo session ahead of a news conference for his movie Mortdecai in Tokyo on Jan. 28, 2015

However, there are concerns the U.S. may not let the dogs back in the country

Hollywood superstar Johnny Depp is set to make an unscheduled return to the U.S. on Friday with his terriers, in order to save the dogs from being put down by Australia’s Department of Agriculture.

Depp and his wife Amber Heard have booked a private jet to fly back to Los Angeles on Friday night, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

The actor had earlier brought his dogs to Australia — where he is shooting the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie — by the same means of transportation, flouting quarantine laws.

MORE: Listen to an Official and Radio Host Argue Over Johnny Depp’s Dogs in the Most Australian Interview Ever

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce gave Depp a 50-hour ultimatum to remove the terriers, called Pistol and Boo, from the country or face having them euthanized. Using colorful language, Joyce said it was “time that Pistol and Boo buggered off back to the United States.”

The tone of the remarks, and the threat to kill the animals, have been seen as an embarrassing overreaction by many Australians and have prompted a Twitter backlash.

But the Agriculture Minister has now expressed concern that U.S. authorities might not allow the dogs back in either.

“The question is if he breached our laws, then did he follow the correct laws in the U.S.?” Joyce said Friday. “My worry is will the U.S. let them back in?” he said. “If not … will they have anywhere to go?”

TIME celebrities

Kesha Says She ‘Went to a Dark Place’ While Battling Eating Disorder

Kesha attends the 9th Annual Delete Blood Cancer Gala at Cipriani, Wall Street on April 16, 2015 in New York City.
Dennis Van Tine—Photoshot/NurPhoto Kesha attends the 9th Annual Delete Blood Cancer Gala at Cipriani, Wall Street on April 16, 2015 in New York City.

The 28-year-old said her unhealthy habits were actually being celebrated by those around her

It’s been a little over a year since Kesha completed a rehabilitation program for an eating disorder, and the pop star is getting candid about just how serious her struggles with the disease were.

“I’ve had a lot of ups and downs,” she told Vogue in an interview published Wednesday. “It’s been quite a journey. [With the criticism about my body], I went to a dark place.”

Kesha, 28, says her unhealthy habits were actually being celebrated by those around her.

“There was a lot of not eating – and I started to think being hungry to the point of feeling almost faint was a positive thing,” she told the magazine. “The worse it got, the more positive feedback I was getting. Inside I was really unhappy, but outside, people were like, ‘Wow, you look great.'”

The musician says her own music helped inspire her to get help.

“I was singing these songs like ‘We R Who We R,’ and I really believed them,” she said. “I wanted to be genuine. But I was sad.”

The “Timber” singer decided to enter rehab at the urging of her therapist.

“She said, ‘I think it’s time we take a moment to address this.’ I called my mom one night and I told her, ‘I need help.’ I went to an eating-disorder specific rehab site where a nutritionist taught me that food is a positive thing for your body,” she said. “I realized being healthy is the most important thing I can do for myself.”

Kesha said she is now working on learning to accept herself the way she is.

“I’m trying to embrace the skin I’m in,” she said. “It’s difficult sometimes. Every day I have to look in the mirror and make the choice to be kind to myself. This is who I am – I have to love that.”

To stay on a healthy path, she avoids reading any negative commentary about her appearance and body.

“Part of being healthy is being positive,” she said. “I don’t pay attention to the Internet or bloggers. I surround myself with positive people. I run a few miles on the beach every day, and I got into Transcendental Meditation to try to find some peace in my crazy life. [It reminds me] to be grateful for where I am, for my body, and my face – as imperfect as any of it may be.”

This article originally appeared on People.com

TIME celebrities

Watch Paul McCartney Rap With Jamie Oliver for Food Revolution Day

Food Revolution Day wants to make nutrition education mandatory in schools

What better way to raise awareness about food education than to rap about it?

In a new video, Jamie Oliver teams up with Ed Sheeran, Paul McCartney, Hugh Jackman and other celebrities to do a ‘We Are the World’-type song for Food Revolution Day. But instead of singing, the stars try out rapping, to varying degrees of success.

The goal of Food Revolution Day is to put mandatory food curriculums in schools with the hope of reducing obesity and other diet-related diseases.

As the rap says, “This better reach somebody, ’cause you only get one body.”

 

TIME Music

Watch Miley Cyrus and Ariana Grande Cover ‘Don’t Dream It’s Over’

Another addition to Backyard Sessions videos

Earlier this month, Miley Cyrus launched a new charity called the Happy Hippie Foundation to raise awareness and much-needed funds for homeless and LGBT youth—and she’s been shining a light on the cause by calling upon her fellow artist friends to make incredible new music.

With her series of Backyard Sessions videos, the Bangerz singer has teamed up with everyone from Against Me’s Laura Jane Grace to rocker Joan Jett to ’60s songwriting icon Melanie Safka for a series of intimate videos filmed in Cyrus’ backyard.

Now, she’s collaborated with Ariana Grande for her latest edition—and EW and PEOPLE are proud to premiere the duo’s rendition of Crowded House’s indelible 1986 hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” Check out the clip below.

So what led Cyrus to stand up for homeless and LGBT youth? The 22-year-old recently shared that the suicide of transgender teen Leelah Alcorn led her to take action.

“It hit me as hard as if I had known her,” Cyrus wrote in a touching essay for Medium. “I felt connected to her. For a year, my focus has been on helping homeless youth, and it was heartbreaking to hear that 40 percent of homeless teens identify as LGBT. The more I learned about what life can be like as a transgender person, the more I realized how especially woven into homelessness that is. Acceptance is a huge step towards eradicating youth homelessness. Being who you are and who you want to be has nothing to do with gender, sexuality, body type, race, or age.”

Cyrus added that the goal of the Happy Hippie Foundation is simple: “The Happy Hippie Foundation is encouraging people to be the artists of a picture of true freedom, freedom of self-expression…freedom to be true to themselves. The fight to be free isn’t over. We have to rally together and fight injustice. Being a happy hippie means making others happy, even those unlike yourself!”

This article originally appeared on EW.com.

TIME celebrities

Sandra Lee Postpones Her Double Mastectomy

The Tenth Annual UNICEF Snowflake Ball - Arrivals
Bryan Bedder—Getty Images for UNICEF Chef Sandra Lee attends the 10th annual UNICEF Snowflake Ball at Cipriani Wall Street in New York City on Dec. 2, 2014

Days after revealing she’s battling breast cancer, Sandra Lee announced she’s pushing back her double mastectomy until she recovers from an upper respiratory infection.

Lee, 48, shared the news with her fans Wednesday on Facebook.

“Although I’ve been on antibiotics hoping that it would clear up so I could move forward with my procedure this Thursday, the doctors think it best for me to postpone my operation until early next week,” she wrote. “I thank you all so so so much for your kind messages and loving thoughts.”

The celebrity chef spoke to PEOPLE about her heartbreaking diagnosis Tuesday.

“Life can turn on a dime,” she said, adding that her new mission is “to spread the word about early detection.”

Lee’s longtime love, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, has said he will take time off the job to help care for her.

“A situation like this quickly puts life in the proper perspective and reminds one of what’s truly important,” Cuomo, 57, said in a statement.

This article originally appeared on PEOPLE.com

TIME celebrities

The Australians Want to Put Down Johnny Depp’s Cute Little Terriers

"Cabaret" Broadway Opening Night - Arrivals & Curtain Call
Bruce Glikas—FilmMagic/Getty Images Johnny Depp poses backstage during the opening night of Cabaret on Broadway at Studio 54 on April 24, 2014, in New York City

That's what you get for flouting quarantine rules

Johnny Depp has caused quite a political and diplomatic shake-up in Australia this week while shooting there for the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Well, at least his dogs did.

The actor was warned by the country’s Department of Agriculture that his Yorkshire terriers Boo and Pistol would be put down if they weren’t taken out of the country within 50 hours, Australian broadcaster ABC News reported. This is because the actor failed to put them into quarantine.

“There is a process if you want to bring animals: you get the permits, they go into quarantine and then you can have them,” said Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce.

“But if we start letting movie stars — even though they’ve been the sexiest man alive twice — to come into our nation [and break the laws], then why don’t we just break the laws for everybody?”

Several other Aussie politicians, including the Immigration Minister and the Queensland Treasurer, agreed, saying Depp can’t be exempted from the country’s quarantine protocols just because he’s a movie star who flew in with his dogs undeclared on a private jet.

Several of Depp’s fans, meanwhile, have started an online petition to save the tiny canines, although many of them blame the actor for flouting laws. “Help me tell Barnaby Joyce not to kill or remove Johnny Depp’s dogs from Australia,” the petition, started by Sydney woman Namita Sopal, reads.

“It’s not the dogs’ fault. It’s his stupid fault,” reads a message on the petition.

Joyce, meanwhile, made his position quite clear with classic Australian frankness.

“It’s time that Pistol and Boo buggered off back to the United States,” he said.

[ABC News]

TIME celebrities

How Paul Walker’s Brother Aims to Carry on His Legacy

Cody Walker unveils a giant mosaic plaque dedicated to his late brother, American actor Paul Walker, at United Cinemas in Craigieburn, New South Wales
Tony Gough—Newspix/Getty Images Cody Walker unveils a giant mosaic plaque dedicated to his late brother, American actor Paul Walker, at United Cinemas in Craigieburn, New South Wales, on April 12, 2015.

The Fast and Furious star died in a 2013 car wreck

The younger brother of late actor Paul Walker told People in a recent interview that he hopes to continue his brother’s legacy of philanthropy—something the Fast and Furious star was passionate about, but wasn’t necessarily known for.

Walker died in a car crash in November 2013 when he was 40 years old, leaving behind not just family, friends and fans, but a humanitarian relief organization that he had founded in the wake of the devastating earthquake in Haiti in 2010. Now, Cody Walker aims to follow in his footsteps, taking on the role of brand manager at Reach Out Worldwide, or ROWW.

“Aside from acting, his daughter and ROWW were the most important things in his life, hands down,” the 26-year-old said. “”He was very proud of ROWW and the incredible people he had surrounded himself to make up that team. I’m just doing the best that I can to keep his vision consistent.”

Read more at People.

TIME celebrities

Mad Max‘s Tom Hardy Opens Up About Struggles With Addiction

Actor Tom Hardy arrives at the Los Angeles Premiere of "Mad Max: Fury Road" at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX on May 7, 2015 in Hollywood.
Jon Kopaloff—FilmMagic/Getty Images Actor Tom Hardy arrives at the Los Angeles Premiere of "Mad Max: Fury Road" at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX on May 7, 2015 in Hollywood.

“I would have sold my mom for a rock of crack"

Actor Tom Hardy says he’s lucky to be alive.

The Mad Max: Fury Road star admitted in a recent interview with Essentials magazine that his drug problem during his 20s had gotten so bad that he would have given up a family member for some. “I would have sold my mom for a rock of crack,” Hardy said. “I am fu-king lucky to be here.”

The 37-year-old actor said he was a “shameful suburban statistic,” struggling with alcohol and drugs before sobering up in 2003. “I was told very clearly, ‘you go down that road, Tom, you won’t come back. That’s it. All you need to know.'”

Hardy, who played Bane in the The Dark Knight Rises, plays Max Rockatansky in the Mad Max flick that hits theaters on Friday.

[Yahoo New Zealand]

TIME celebrities

Cate Blanchett Says She’s Had ‘Many’ Off-Screen Relationships With Women

Actress Cate Blanchett attends the premiere of "Cinderella" in Hollywood on March 1, 2015.
Jason LaVeris—FilmMagic/Getty Images Actress Cate Blanchett attends the premiere of "Cinderella" in Hollywood on March 1, 2015.

The actress revealed a surprise while talking about her film Carol

Cate Blanchett was able to draw on personal experiences while preparing for her new film.

The 45-year-old actress is starring in the screen adaptation of Patricia Highsmith’s novel The Price of Salt, which takes place in the 1950s and tells the story of a woman named Carol (played by Blanchett) who enters into a secret romance with a female department store clerk (played by Rooney Mara).

When asked by Variety if this was her first intimate experience with a woman, Blanchett replied with a wry smile, “On film – or in real life?”

Pressed to elaborate, the Cinderella star confirmed she has had off-screen relationships with woman “many times,” but declined to comment further.

Blanchett, who recently adopted a daughter with her husband of 18 years, says that she also “read a lot of girl-on-girl books from the period” to prepare for the role.

And while there will be some steamy scenes between the two characters, Blanchett promises nothing overly graphic.

“It’s not Blue Is the Warmest Color,'” Blanchett says. “That’s not the ambition of the film.”

Instead, Blanchett hopes Carol will break misconceptions in Hollywood about female-driven films while appealing to a wide range of audiences.

“It was so hard,” she explains of getting the film made. “Midrange films with women at the center are tricky to finance. There are a lot of people laboring under the misapprehension that people don’t want to see them, which isn’t true.”

Citing powerful female figures like Meryl Streep, Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, and Cinderella director Allison Shearmur, Blanchett says she’s hopeful things will change now that “there’s been a critical mass of women who have reached a certain place in the industry.”

“I want it to not be discussed anymore,” she adds. “But it needs to be discussed.”

Carol will compete for the Palme d’Or at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.

This article originally appeared on People.com.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com