From the sinking of a South Korean passenger ferry to the first anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, to Passover in Jerusalem and Holy Week around the world, TIME presents the best photos of the week.
A year after tragedy hit their hometown streets, survivors of the Boston Marathon bombings plan to run again+ READ ARTICLE
This week, survivors, first responders and family members of those killed came together to mark the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings.
The events that unfolded starting at 2:49 p.m. on April 15, 2013, nearly three hours after the race’s winners crossed the finish line, altered lives forever.
In this gripping video feature, survivors and runners who were at the finish line remember the frantic moments of that deadly day.
A year after two bombs claimed three lives and injured more than 260 people, their stories of survival are a testament to Boston’s resilient spirit in the aftermath of the bombings. Their resolution to run again on Monday, the day the race takes place this year, comes from the determination to continue to rebuild, drawing strength from the heroics they saw that day.
Former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb served a one-day sentence following a DUI arrest that took place last year. He pled guilty to a DUI on March 27, and nine days of his sentence were suspended
Former NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb was released from an Arizona jail on Thursday after serving a one-day sentence for a DUI arrest that took place in late 2013, the Associated Press reports.
McNabb was arrested on Dec. 15 and pled guilty to a DUI on March 27. Nine days of his sentence were suspended.
McNabb played in the NFL for 13 years and led the Philadelphia Eagles to four straight NFC championship games and one Super Bowl. He retired in 2011 and is now 37.
Jabari Parker, one of the best freshman in college basketball, has decided to begin his professional basketball career this year. He explains his decision to go pro, after his team's disappointing upset in the NCAA tournament
All-star Duke freshman Jabari Parker has declared for the 2014 NBA draft, he announced Thursday.
Parker wrote about his decision to leave Duke for Sports Illustrated, laying out the reasons he was tempted to remain at Duke University for another year before beginning his professional career.
“After losing in the NCAA tournament, I needed to clear my mind. I was incredibly disappointed and blamed myself,” Parker writes. “I didn’t watch basketball or go to the gym for several days.”
Parker’s college legacy was a letdown: No. 3 seed Duke was upset early in the NCAA tournament, losing to Mercer. If he instead chose to stay with Duke, he could have a chance to redeem his team in next year’s tournament.
But ultimately, after meeting with Coach K and his parents to discuss his options, Parker settled on the NBA:
Which environment — college or the NBA — offers me the best opportunity to grow as a basketball player?
Which environment — college or the NBA — offers me the best opportunity to grow and develop off the court?
The answer to both questions is undeniably the NBA.
Parker will likely be a top pick in this year’s NBA draft on June 26. He was the highest-scoring freshman in Duke history, averaging 19.1 points per game and becoming the first freshman to lead Duke in both scoring and rebounding.
The beginning of Parker’s professional career does not mean the end of his education: Parker said that he plans to graduate from Duke while he’s in the NBA. Parker’s decision to enter the draft also means he’ll forgo his two-year mission common among 19-year-olds at the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints. He says, however, that he’ll remain religious.
“I don’t consider myself an exception to the rule. At this point in my life I know this is the right decision,” Parker wrote.
The team’s owner of 29 years, former U.S. Senator Herb Kohl, is selling the Bucks to Marc Lasry of Avenue Capital Management and Wesley Edens, co-founder of Fortress Investment Group LLC. The deal is still subject to the approval of the owners of the NBA’s 29 other teams
The NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks will be sold for $550 million, the team announced in a press conference Wednesday.
The team’s owner of 29 years, former U.S. Senator Herb Kohl, said he wanted to establish a succession plan. Marc Lasry of Avenue Capital Management and Wesley Edens, co-founder of Fortress Investment Group LLC are buying the team from Kohl, Bloomberg reports.
“Marc and I are very pure in our ambitions to be good owners,” Edens said. “We are delighted to be in Milwaukee and we want to stay in Milwaukee. I think there’s no doubt this market can be successful.”
Kohl agreed to give a gift of $100 to Milwaukee toward the building of a new basketball arena for the team. The new owners also pledged at least that amount toward construction costs.
“I’m very optimistic, even more so than I can express, about the future of basketball in this city,” Kohl said. “They have embraced that concept that this is Milwaukee’s team.”
The deal is still subject to the approval of the owners of the NBA’s 29 other teams.
His first practice with the team is Thursday
Lamar Odom is heading home to the east coast after signing with the New York Knicks, team owner Phil Jackson announced Wednesday.
Odom, a native of Queens, leaves the Los Angeles Lakers immediately to start practicing with the Knicks on Thursday, The New York Daily News reports.
Odom will finish the season with the New York team, though he’s unlikely to play in the one game the Knicks have left, their meeting with the Toronto Raptors Wednesday. As Sports Illustrated notes, Odom has had his share of challenges of late, including a recent back injury that forced him to back out of a deal with a team in the Spanish ACB League, pDUI charges and time spent in rehab. His wife Khloe Kardashian filed for divorce last December.
Resorts are trying to get skiers locked in as loyal guests next season—and simultaneously keep them away from competitor mountains—with major deals for early-bird purchases.
America’s biggest ski resorts are at it again. For a variety of reasons, starting with recent seasons of less-than-stellar snow and ending with increasingly aggressive tactics in the pursuit of customer loyalty throughout the industry, resort companies are upping their game to convince skiers and boarders that they should pay for next season’s skiing mere days after the current season has ended.
And how do they get customers to commit so far in advance? By waving special offers that are often so good customers can’t refuse.
Two of the industry’s biggest players, Vail Resorts and Intrawest, make it easy even for those who are currently struggling to pay off credit card bills related to the ski season just in the rear-view mirror, by allowing customers to lock in pass prices now with only a $49 down payment. Once that’s been paid, the company has your credit card information—and before next ski season begins, your card will automatically be charged for the balance.
Vail, which owns and operates ten major ski resorts, including Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Heavenly, and Kirkwood, offers a wide variety of passes. The unrestricted Epic Pass is at the top price-wise, running $729 (up $40 from special prices available last summer), with a range of cheaper options for special buyer categories (kids, seniors, college students) and for skiers who can live with more restrictions (blackout dates, fewer resorts, etc.). Considering that a single-day walkup ticket can run well over $100 at a place like Vail, it’s easy to see how these season passes are well worth the money for even a moderate skier who figures to log in, say, 10 or 12 days of making turns each winter.
For diehards putting in a few dozen days per season on the mountain, these passes are no-brainers. They’re probably even underpriced. Why, then, do ski companies keep prices so low?
The big reason is that they want skiers to commit their money—and their loyalty—early, long before anyone can tell if the season’s snow will be good or bad (and potentially not worth the trip at all). They also want customers to commit because doing so largely eliminates the possibility that these skiers will wind up spending a day, let alone an entire week’s vacation, at a competitor resort. After you’ve already coughed up a few hundred bucks for a pass, after all, you’ll want to use it rather than paying more money out of pocket.
The ski companies are also well aware of the powerful trickle-down effect of selling one pass. The likely result is that the passholder will wind up spending money in resort-area restaurants, bars, and hotels, perhaps over the course of seven, ten, or many more days. And pass purchases beget pass purchases, as skiers and boarders tend to buy passes at the same places as their skier and boarder family and friends.
In fact, the Intrawest Passport pushes group sales by directly incentivizing family and friends to buy their passes together. One adult pass, which grants six days of mountain access at each of the company’s six North American resorts (including Steamboat and Winter Park in Colorado, Stratton in Vermont, and Tremblant in Quebec), costs $589. But up to five additional adult passes purchased at the same time cost $449 each, and up to five kids ages 12 and under are totally free. The deal gets more appealing when you add more people to the mix—and bringing more customers to Intrawest’s resorts is exactly what the company wants.
Each of the many ski pass programs in North America features different price points and inclusions, but they all have one thing in common: They want your money asap. Intrawest is only guaranteeing current pricing through April 30. The Mountain Collective, which provides two days apiece at resorts like Whistler-Blackcomb and Aspen-Snowmass and 50% off the regular rate thereafter, is throwing in an extra free day at your choice of mountains for a vague “while supplies last” period. The Mountain Collective pass is now $359, up from $349 last season, and runs $99 for kids 12 and under.
Another pass partnership, the Powder Alliance, hasn’t announced its policies for the upcoming season yet. If they remained unchanged from 2013-2014, all season passholders from a dozen resorts will automatically get three free days each at all of the other participating resorts, including Stevens Pass in Washington, Crested Butte in Colorado, Snowbasin in Utah, and Schweitzer in Idaho. And yes, you can expect discounts for buying passes early. The pricing at Schweitzer, for instance, generally calls for 2014-2015 passes to rise by $100 as of June 1. The takeaway is pretty obvious: Smart skiers will want to lock in a lower price now.
Survivors, first responders and dignitaries congregated Tuesday to remember the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings last year
Updated at 3:31 p.m.
One year after four people were killed and hundreds more injured in the Boston Marathon bombings, the city marked the grim anniversary Tuesday with a day of tributes amid preparations for a record number of entrants to this year’s race.
The day began with a group of dignitaries, including the family of the youngest victim, walking with an honor guard to the site of the April 15, 2013, bombings. Bagpipes played as wreaths were placed at the site of the tragedy and no public comments were made.
Around 3,000 survivors, first responders and dignitaries were in attendance at a ceremony at the Hynes convention center Tuesday marking the one year anniversary of the bombings.
“I know that no memorial, no words, no acts can fully provide the solace that your hearts and soul still yearn to acquire,” Vice President Joe Biden said in remarks during the event. “I hope it eases your grief a little bit.” Biden praised the courage of survivors and the families of the dead. “America will never, ever, ever stand down,” he said. “We are Boston. We are America. We respond, we endure, we overcome, and we own the finish line.”
After speeches by Biden, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and others, survivors walked to the finish line to observe a moment of silence, USA Today reports. Church bells throughout Boston sounded at 2:49 p.m., a year to the minute from the moment the bombs exploded.
President Obama released a statement asking for remembrance of those injured and the four innocents killed, each of whom he called by name. “We also know that the most vivid images from that day were not of smoke and chaos, but of compassion, kindness and strength,” the president said. “A man in a cowboy hat helping a wounded stranger out of harm’s way; runners embracing loved ones, and each other; an EMT carrying a spectator to safety. Today, we recognize the incredible courage and leadership of so many Bostonians in the wake of unspeakable tragedy.” Obama and a small gathering of aides will join Bostonians for a moment of silence at 2:49 p.m. in the Oval Office.
Officials expect a crowd of roughly a million people to cheer on 36,000 runners in this year’s race on Monday, April 21, a 33 percent increase from the cap on entrants in previous years. The field in this year’s Boston Marathon will be larger than any in the race’s 118-year history but one: the 1996 centennial Boston Marathon, at which more than 38,000 started the race. Security will be tight this year, with 3,500 police on duty for the race, double the size of last year’s deployment.
The 28-year-old Olympian, who retired from competitive swimming in 2012, will compete at an event in Mesa, Ariz. on April 24-26. His trainer said Phelps hasn't yet decided if he'll participate in the U.S. national championship
American Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps is coming out of retirement to compete for the first time since 2012’s London Olympic Games.
The 28-year-old Olympian who retired from competitive swimming in 2012 will compete at an event in Mesa, Ariz. on April 24-26.
“I think he’s just going to test the waters a little bit and see how it goes,” Phelp’s trainer, Bob Bowman, told the Associated Press. “I wouldn’t say it’s a full-fledged comeback.”
Bowman said Phelps hasn’t yet decided if he’ll compete in the U.S. national championship if he qualifies. Phelps, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history, has previously said he wouldn’t compete past age 30.
“He’s really doing this because he wants to — there’s no outside pressure at all,” Bowman said.
Bubba Watson's amazing Masters win combined humility, a special moment with his son and even a run to Waffle House+ READ ARTICLE
For the second time in three years, Bubba Watson won the Masters tournament on Sunday, and this time the celebration was a family affair.
The 35-year-old golfer celebrated with his wife and two-year-old son, Caleb, in front of a cheering crowd at Augusta National. Watson had tears in his eyes as his son walked out to greet him on the 18th green.
And to make Watson’s Masters win even sweeter, the player hit a Waffle House somewhere near Augusta National with family and friends to celebrate. “Champ dinner @WaffleHouse” he tweeted at about 2.40 am.