"Let us turn ours into a country of mushrooms!"
The North Korean leadership published a list of more than 300 slogans in state media on Thursday ahead of the 70th anniversary of the founding of the country’s Workers’ Party this year.
The lengthy list, comprising some 6,000 words in English translation, provides an often comical sense of some of the priorities of the government. Some of the statements are typical of the bellicose rhetoric North Korean directs toward South Korea and the United States, while others are more general declarations for improving different aspects of life, ranging from food production to the style of school uniforms.
An English translation was posted by the KCNA Watch, a website that monitors the North Korean official news agency. Here’s seven of the more bizarre slogans on the list:
- “Let us build a fairyland for the people by dint of science!”
- “More stylish school uniforms and quality school things for our dear children!”
- “Should the enemy dare to invade our country, annihilate them to the last man so that none of them will survive to sign the instrument of surrender!”
- “Let the wives of officers become dependable assistants to their husbands!”
- “Let us turn ours into a country of mushrooms by making mushroom cultivation scientific, intensive and industrialized!”
- “Launch more cutting-edge sci-tech satellites and applications satellites of our style!”
- “Make fruits cascade down and their sweet aroma fill the air on the sea of apple trees at the foot of Chol Pass!”
See the full list here