By Associated Press
November 17, 2017

(BARRINGTON, R.I.) — A self-heating beef dinner from China is being blamed for a carbon monoxide scare at a Rhode Island boarding school.

The Barrington Fire Department says they responded to St. Andrews School around 6 p.m. Thursday after a carbon monoxide alarm went off.

Students were evacuated, and the source was traced to a dorm room. Investigators couldn’t figure out what caused it, since there were no gas or wood-burning elements in the building.

Then, the student mentioned his dinner: a beef “hotpot” his parents sent him from China, which included a self-heating packet to warm up the meal.

Fire Capt. Scott Carroll says a carbon monoxide meter registered extremely high levels of the gas when placed near the dish.

Carroll says the building was ventilated, and no students got sick.

SPONSORED FINANCIAL CONTENT

You May Like

EDIT POST