The first rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club. But Bryan Storkel and Academy Award-winning director Daniel Junge are spreading the gospel about a fascinating new wave of Christianity in which pastors and followers are practicing faith by participating in MMA fights.
Fight Church premieres April 24 at the Independent Film Festival of Boston, and based on the trailer, it looks like a fascinating watch. These five quotes perfectly exhibit why it looks so mesmerizing:
- "When Preston came up with the idea of having a fight club in the church, it was an easy thing to say yes to."
- "Tough guys need Jesus, too."
- "We'll just be a couple of God-fearing men punching each other in the head."
- "Jesus never tapped out."
- "Can you love your neighbor as much as yourself and then knee him in the face as hard as you can?"
While this form of spiritual practice might seem unorthodox, it isn't out of line with past religious trends. Muscular Christianity, a popular movement in the Victorian era, emphasized the importance of evangelical spirituality with physical strength and participation in sports. This just takes things to the next level.