TIME Crime

British Serial Killer Stephen Port Convicted of Murdering 4 Men He Met Online

Stephen Port court case
Elizabeth Cook—AP Court artist sketch of Stephen Port (left) appearing at The Old Bailey, on Oct. 4, 2016.

He was also found guilty of 18 other offenses

(LONDON)— A British chef was convicted Wednesday of murdering four young men whom he met online, plied with lethal drug-spiked drinks and raped, then left their bodies in and around a graveyard near his home.

Twelve jurors at London’s Central Criminal Court unanimously found serial killer Stephen Port guilty of three murders, and convicted him of a fourth killing by a majority of 11 to one.

He was also found guilty of 18 other offenses, including four rapes and four sex assaults, against several other men who survived their encounters with Port.

Port, 41, denied all the charges against him.

The U.K.’s independent police watchdog is investigating why detectives did not initially link the deaths of the four men whose bodies were found near Port’s home in east London over a 15-month period.

Commander Stuart Cundy of the Metropolitan Police conceded that “from the evidence we’ve heard at trial there were potential opportunities that were missed.”

The force said it was re-examining 58 unexplained deaths in London involving the psychoactive drug GHB — which Port gave his victims — over a four-year period to see if any were suspicious.

Prosecutors said Port invited the men, who all were in their 20s, to his home, where he gave them drinks containing deadly doses of GHB so he could rape them while they were unconscious.

The victims — Anthony Walgate, Gabriel Kovari, Daniel Whitworth and Jack Taylor — all overdosed on the drug. Port then dumped their bodies in and around a graveyard near his apartment.

He took elaborate action to cover up the killings, planting a fake suicide note in the hand of one victim and stashing drugs on the body of another.

Police began investigating the deaths as potential homicides only when the family of Port’s final victim, Taylor, pressed for action.

Taylor’s family said after the verdicts that police should be held accountable for his death.

“We do believe Jack would still be here if they had done their job,” they said in a statement.

The judge said Port would be sentenced on Friday.

Tap to read full story

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com


Dear TIME Reader,

As a regular visitor to TIME.com, we are sure you enjoy all the great journalism created by our editors and reporters. Great journalism has great value, and it costs money to make it. One of the main ways we cover our costs is through advertising.

The use of software that blocks ads limits our ability to provide you with the journalism you enjoy. Consider turning your Ad Blocker off so that we can continue to provide the world class journalism you have become accustomed to.

The TIME Team