"Usually, I charge a lot for speeches like these"+ READ ARTICLE
Although Thursday night’s gala was awkward and tense at times, both candidates landed some jokes, at the expense of themselves and their opponent. Here are the five best punchlines from the evening.
1. “The media is even more biased this year than ever before, ever. You want the proof? Michelle Obama gives a speech and everyone loves it, it’s fantastic. They think she’s absolutely great. My wife, Melania, gives the exact same speech — and people get on her case.” – Trump
2. “This is such a special event that I took a break from my rigorous nap schedule to be here. And as you’ve already heard, it’s a treat for all of you too, because usually I charge a lot for speeches like this.” – Clinton
3. “And even tonight, with all of the heated back and forth, between my opponent and me at the debate last night, we have proven that we can actually be civil to each other. In fact, just before taking the dais, Hillary accidentally bumped into me and she very civilly said, ‘Pardon me.’ And I very politely replied, ‘Let me talk to you about that after I get into office.'” – Trump
4. “People look at the Statue of Liberty and they see a proud symbol of our history as a nation of immigrants, a beacon of hope for people around the world. Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a ‘four.’ Maybe a ‘five’ if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair.” – Clinton
5. “Hillary believes that it’s vital to deceive the people by having one public policy, and a totally different policy in private… For example, here she is tonight, in public, pretending not to hate Catholics.” – Trump, eliciting boos from the crowd