TIME Italy

Italian Prosecutors Investigate Suicide of Woman Whose Sex Tape Was Leaked Online

epa05541987 A photo made available 16 September 2016 of the coffin of Tiziana Cantone being carried to her funeral service in Casalnuovo, Naples, Italy, 15 September 2016. The 31-years-old woman had committed suicide after battling for months to have a viral video, showing her having sex, removed from the internet. The woman earlier had won a so-called 'Right to be forgotten' case but was ordered to pay the legal costs. EPA/CIRO FUSCOsure
Ciro Fusco—EPA The coffin of Tiziana Cantone being carried to her funeral service in Casalnuovo, Italy, on Sept. 15, 2016.

Tiziana Cantone fought unsuccessfully to have the tape removed from the internet

(MILAN)— Italian prosecutors in Naples have opened a criminal investigation of the suicide of a 31-year-old woman who had fought unsuccessfully to have a video showing her having sex expunged from the internet.

Chief prosecutor Francesco Greco said Friday that the investigation into possible charges of instigating suicide was being coordinated with another probe based on a defamation complaint the woman brought against four individuals last year.

The woman, identified as Tiziana Cantone, killed herself on Tuesday. She was buried on Thursday, with her family launching an appeal “that Tiziana’s death not be in vain, but serve to stop this kind of mass violence.”

The suicide, along with other high-profile instances of cyberbullying, has provoked a debate in Italy about how to protect individuals, not just minors, from having material circulated on the internet without their consent. The parliament is debating legislation that would make it easier to remove unauthorized or offensive material, while also making stalking on the internet an aggravating circumstance.

According to media reports, Cantone sent the video privately to a small group of people, but it quickly went viral, with her name attached, and she became the target of insults and jokes. Her attempts to have the video removed from a series of platforms failed.

Besides the defamation complaint, Cantone also went to a civil court seeking to have the video removed for violation of privacy, but she won only a partial victory and was ordered to pay court costs of 20,000 euros ($22,300).

Italian media reported that prosecutors refused a request to act to have the video removed from websites where it appeared, saying that the video had been downloaded more than 200,000 times and would therefore be impossible to withdraw from circulation, and that there was no evidence she had asked for its removal.

The head of Italy’s privacy agency, Antonello Soro, told Sky News TG that the prosecutor had erred, because under Italian law sensitive material can be circulated only with explicit consent. Soro said this case and others illustrate that people must be educated about the dangers of circulating personal material on the web.

“The real point is why do kids, and adults, put in the web, in such an irresponsible way, their own data?” he said. “There is the conviction that the immaterial piazza is only virtual. Instead it is a real piazza” — an open public space.

Tap to read full story

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com


YOU BROKE TIME.COM!

Dear TIME Reader,

As a regular visitor to TIME.com, we are sure you enjoy all the great journalism created by our editors and reporters. Great journalism has great value, and it costs money to make it. One of the main ways we cover our costs is through advertising.

The use of software that blocks ads limits our ability to provide you with the journalism you enjoy. Consider turning your Ad Blocker off so that we can continue to provide the world class journalism you have become accustomed to.

The TIME Team