TIME Infectious Disease

Chipotle Outbreak That Sickened 120 Students Caused by Norovirus

80 Boston College Students Fall Ill After Eating At Chipotle Restaurant
Scott Eisen—Getty Images A sign showing that the Chipotle Mexican Grill seen at 1924 Beacon St. is closed on December 8, 2015 in Boston, Massachusetts.

The Boston location was also tested for E. coli, but results are not back yet

An outbreak that sickened over 120 Boston College students who ate at a single Chipotle location over the weekend has been confirmed to be caused by norovirus.

Norovirus causes vomiting and diarrhea, and is often spread by contaminated food. Another Chipotle location in Southern California saw a norovirus outbreak earlier this year, and the chain has also been plagued by E. coli outbreaks. The Boston location was also tested for E. coli, but results are not back yet, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Chipotle closed the location temporarily on Monday following reports of illness. Referring to the spate of food-borne illness at Chipotle locations around the country, spokesperson Chris Arnold told the paper. “It’s important to note that we have been in business for 22 years and served millions of people in that time without seeing incidents like we have seen this year … That said, even one illness connected to our restaurants is too many, so we have set a goal to be an industry leader in food safety.”


Tap to read full story

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com


Dear TIME Reader,

As a regular visitor to TIME.com, we are sure you enjoy all the great journalism created by our editors and reporters. Great journalism has great value, and it costs money to make it. One of the main ways we cover our costs is through advertising.

The use of software that blocks ads limits our ability to provide you with the journalism you enjoy. Consider turning your Ad Blocker off so that we can continue to provide the world class journalism you have become accustomed to.

The TIME Team