Tuesday, June 30th, will be one second longer than a regular day. The so-called “leap second” is periodically added to our clocks to account for the gradual slowing of the Earth’s rotation, according to NASA. From 1972 to 1999, leap seconds were added about once a year, but they’ve become less frequent since then.
One second may seem like a pretty negligible addition to your Tuesday, but we disagree. There are plenty of ways to take advantage of this precious extra moment, which will be added just before 8 p.m. Eastern time. (The leap second could potentially cause some major headaches for the Internet — so that’s all the more reason to make sure you enjoy it while you can.)
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide what to do with your precious extra second, but here are our suggestions:
- Pat a dog on the head (or three times if you have a quick hand).
- Burn a calorie.
- Put down the toilet seat. (But you should be doing this all the time, guys.)
- “Like” something new on Facebook. (We suggest TIME or Channing Tatum or Doug the Pug.)
- Watch one second of the show you’ve been meaning to watch (we’re looking at you, The Wire) so you can say you finally started.
- Watch one sixth of your favorite Vine. (Allow us to recommend this.)
- Take a sip of water. Hydration is important!
- Go for an extra swipe on Tinder. Make it a right swipe. Give him a chance! He’s probably really well-read.
- Take a shot.
- Take a break. You deserve it.
- Make a weird noise. Whatever you feel in your heart. Just let it out. It will be cathartic.
- Turn off the lights, you energy hog.
- Click something. Anything. Just click. Please?
- Think about Channing Tatum real quick.
- Pick “attending” or “not attending” on that last Facebook event you were invited to and stop being such a noncommittal flake of a Millennial.
- Look at this picture of a chubby corgi/Pomeranian mix for one second. LOOK AT IT.
- Sing your favorite word of “Bohemian Rhapsody.”
- Bother a cat.
- Think about giving to charity. You’re a saint!
- High-five a stranger.
- Smile! You live in the same world as Beyoncé.