We thought we had explored every way to enjoy the buttery-rich yumminess of avocados. But then we swooned over a photo of the breaded avocado fries in chef Hans Röckenwagner‘s latest cookbook, Das Cookbook. Röckenwagner, known for applying German cooking techniques to Californian cuisine, features these delightful snacks on the menus at two of his Los Angeles–based cafés. Inspired by the photo, we created our own lighter version, and the results were even more delicious than we’d imagined: When you coat creamy avocado wedges with a crisp breadcrumb crust, that contrast of textures makes the avocado seem doubly silky-rich. Be sure to follow Röckenwagner’s advice for success and start with firm, ripe avocados; cooking won’t add flavor, so the avocado has to be perfect from the start.
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 large egg whites
2 firm, ripe avocados
1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Preheat broiler. Place a baking sheet in oven while broiler preheats.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Place egg whites in a small bowl, and whisk until foamy.
- Halve avocados, remove pits, and cut each half into 6 wedges. Pull off peels.
- Dredge avocado wedges in flour, dip in egg white, and then dredge in breadcrumbs. Remove baking sheet from oven; coat with cooking spray. Place avocado slices on baking sheet; coat avocados with cooking spray.
- Broil 5 minutes or until brown on top. Turn and broil 2 more minutes. Remove and serve with lemon wedges.
Serves 6 (serving size: 4 avocado wedges)
CALORIES 144; FAT 10.1g (sat 1.5g, mono 6.6g, poly 1.2g); PROTEIN 4g; CARB 12g; FIBER 5g;CHOL 0mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 153mg; CALC 13mg
More from CookingLight.com: