Barker is the author of Barking Up The Wrong Tree
- Talking back is a good thing. It can make your kid smarter.
- Peer pressure is more often a good thing.
- You have no idea what’s going on in your kid’s head most of the time.
- Reading to your kids? You’re probably doing it wrong.
- Your child is right that more homework is probably a waste of time.
- There is no need to feel guilty about bribing your kid for eating their vegetables.
- That “Baby Einstein” stuff is a waste of time.
- Lying is a good sign. The earlier they do it, the smarter they are. Problem is you likely have no idea when your kid is lying to you.
- Proud that your kid acts fearless? Start saving bail money.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 147,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
Read next: The 3 Comments Adoptive Parents Hate To Hear