Barker is the author of Barking Up The Wrong Tree
1) Not Negotiating
2) Not preparing effectively for the job negotiation
3) Talking about numbers (that is, negotiating) too soon in the process
4) Paying too much attention to the base salary number at the expense of other issues
5) Not explaining why you want what you are requesting, and not framing it to seem fair
6) Asking for too much “just to see”
7) Missing details by not listening carefully or by getting overwhelmed
8) Sending unclear signals
9) Giving too much information to a headhunter or other intermediary
10) Lying or misrepresenting yourself in any way
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 151,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.