A cute puppy playing with a Clydesdale, an overly flexible iPhone 6 Plus and a deranged robotic baby were among the videos we watched most on YouTube this year. The Google-owned website has released its annual list of the most popular videos of the year, and they cover a wide range of topics. At the top of the charts is the much-feared Mutant Spider Dog, a video in which a Polish prankster dressed his dog up as a giant tarantula and terrified unsuspecting passerby.
The top 10 wasn’t determined by view count alone, but rather by a more nebulous formula that includes “views, shares, comments, likes and more,” according to YouTube. That means that some videos that didn’t earn an eye-popping amount of views, like the recording of a woman being catcalled in the streets of New York, still made the list because they sparked so much interest on social media. The list also speaks to the increasing power that brands have on social networks. Four of the videos on the list are ads, including spots by Nike and Budweiser.
Here’s the full list:
1. Mutant Giant Spider Dog (SA Wardega) by SA Wardega
2. Nike Football: Winner Stays by Nike Football
3. First Kiss
5. iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test
6. Bars & Melody - Simon Cowell's Golden Buzzer act | Britain's Got Talent 2014
7. Budweiser Super Bowl XLVIII Commercial -- "Puppy Love"
8. Devil Baby Attack
9. Goku vs. Superman. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 3
10. 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman
YouTube also ranked the top 10 music videos of the year, which included hits by Katy Perry, Shakira and Taylor Swift. Full list below:
1. Katy Perry - Dark Horse ft. Juicy J
2. Enrique Iglesias - Bailando (Español) ft. Descemer Bueno, Gente De Zona
3. Shakira - Can't Remember to Forget You ft. Rihanna
4. Shakira - La La La (Brazil 2014) ft. Carlinhos Brown
5. Jason Derulo - Wiggle ft. Snoop Dogg
6. Iggy Azalea - Fancy ft. Charli XCX
7. Sia - Chandelier
8. Taylor Swift - Shake It Off
9. Meghan Trainor - All About That Bass
10. Nicki Minaj - Anaconda