It’s no exaggeration to say that kale has reigned supreme in the vegetable kingdom for the past few years. With a fan base that encompasses everyone from Hollywood stars to chain restaurants, it’s one of the most buzzed-about foods of our time. And, a rumored shortage nearly caused a mass frenzy. You’d be hard-pressed to find people who haven’t devoured a kale dish or two.
The truth is, the chameleon-like superfood has many culinary uses. It has taste and texture that make it an ideal ingredient for so many dishes — it can be tossed in a salad, blended in a smoothie, or boiled in a soup. Yes, these crunchy greens are definitely here to stay. In celebration of National Kale Day, we looked back into our archives and found seven recipe standouts that make for a healthy, green-leaf dinner tonight or breakfast tomorrow morning. You’ll want to keep this list handy at your next grocery store visit.
- Kale & Avocado Summer Rolls: Not just for summertime, this fresh and zesty combo is delicious year-round.
- Cauliflower Rice Burrito Bowl: This fresh take on a traditional burrito bowl substitutes cauliflower for beef and kale for lettuce. Delicioso.
- Citrus Ginger Tofu Salad With Buckwheat Soba Noodles: This super easy recipe’s ingredient list includes soba noodles, cabbage, kale, carrots, broccoli — in other words, everything you’ll ever want to eat in one bowl.
- Low-Fat Kale Pizza: The only thing better than a pizza is a low-fat kale pizza.
- Kale Chips: An oldie but goodie, these chewy chips pack a salty punch.
- Kale Chef’s Salad: With supporting ingredients like egg, avocado, and vinaigrette, this kale salad makes for an ideal office lunch.
- Butternut Squash, Kale, and Crunchy Pepitas Taco: Time to give your carne asada tacos a creamy, high-fiber upgrade.