You already know Charli XCX from her verses on buzzy songs like Iggy Azalea's "Fancy" and Icona Pop's "I Love It," as well as for her Fault In Our Stars soundtrack cut "Boom Clap." Now, the British alt-pop singer is setting out for solo stardom with an upcoming album and a new music video for her latest single, "Break the Rules."
Though Charli is solidly an adult (well, kinda — she's 22), this clip takes us back to high school, where the singer leads a gaggle of pretty-but-rebellious girls in all kinds of badassery: vandalizing a schoolbus, dancing in/on that schoolbus, possibly cutting class to go lingerie shopping, crashing prom, and so on.
Props to Charli for making a video that doesn't feature even a single person dancing around the streets of Brooklyn in a crop top.
- We love how British she sounds when she sings "dancing shoes."
- She appears to do the ice bucket challenge, but with paint (or possibly Pepto-Bismol?) instead of ice water.
- Charli really likes outfits that feature fringe.
- Why is she so obsessed with starring in high school-themed music videos?
- Wait — Rose McGowan is in this video.
- Charli and her clique go shopping at a lingerie store called Trashy.com. We checked -- that's a real website selling trashy costumes.
- Dear God, this song is so catchy.