1. A stacked deck: reform the modern fee-based system of criminal justice that has pushed poor communities to the brink.
By Alex Tabarrok in Marginal Revolution
2. Real political change in Iraq – and a strong regional partnership – is the only way to defeat ISIS.
By Michael Breen in US News and World Report
3. To avoid the next Ferguson and address the nation’s systemic racism, America needs black leaders to take a stand together.
By Bob Herbert in Jacobin
4. With their educations on the line, smartphones for teenagers are a critical tool for success.
By John Doerr in the Wall Street Journal
5. To solve the riddle of women turning to extremist violence, we must address the security issues that deeply impact their lives.
By Jane Harman in CNN
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.