1. Sanctions have backed Vladimir Putin into a corner – and that’s where he is most dangerous.
By Julia Ioffe in the New Republic
2. The new vanguard of journalism entrepreneurs won’t destroy media; they’ll probably save it.
By Ann Friedman in Columbia Journalism Review
3. Can Congress rein in the spies?
By David Cole in the New York Review of Books
4. Already heavily subsidized, making mass transit free could help cities attack congestion and pollution.
By Henry Grabar in Salon
5. Things are improving in Africa: A data visualization
By Our World In Data
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.