Just the facts about the MH17 crash+ READ ARTICLE
Here’s what TIME knows about Malaysian Airlines MH17 and how it crashed:
- Malaysia Airlines tweeted that the flight’s last known position was over Ukrainian airspace.
- The flight crashed near the town of Torez in the Ukrainian region of Donetsk.
- The Boeing 777 was carrying 295 passengers and crew when it crashed. There have been no reports of survivors.
- Ukraine officials say that the plane may have been shot down by Russian-made weapons.
- A leader of the pro-separatist group in Ukraine told TIME that rebels did not shoot the plane down, although they have the capability.
- Both President Obama and Ukrainian President Poroshenko have called for investigations of the crash.
More on the story as it develops.