TIME Internet

WATCH: Woman’s Hair Catches Fire as She Tries to Get in a Selfie

Definitive proof that vertical videos are terrible -- and dangerous

Avid smartphone users already know that recording videos vertically instead of horizontally is gauche — or call it “Vertical Video Syndrome”). Now we’ve learned that technique can be incredibly dangerous. This clip shows a guy filming a video selfie at a restaurant and his friend across the table attempting to lean in (no, not that kind of Leaning In). In the process, her hair grazes a candle and catches fire, and everyone freaks out because a part of her was just on fire.

Now, if only this man had simply tilted his phone and recorded a horizontal video, none of this would have happened.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser at http://update.microsoft.com


Dear TIME Reader,

As a regular visitor to TIME.com, we are sure you enjoy all the great journalism created by our editors and reporters. Great journalism has great value, and it costs money to make it. One of the main ways we cover our costs is through advertising.

The use of software that blocks ads limits our ability to provide you with the journalism you enjoy. Consider turning your Ad Blocker off so that we can continue to provide the world class journalism you have become accustomed to.

The TIME Team