TIME Ukraine

Ukraine Says 300 Pro-Russian Fighters Killed In Eastern Clashes

Ukrainian soldiers near Sloviansk
Ukrainian marines fire automatic grenade launcher at Ukraine army checkpoint near Sloviansk, Ukraine on May 31, 2014. Petr Shelomovskiy—Demotix/Corbis

But the leader of the separatist movement in eastern Ukraine says that the government forces actually suffered the heavier losses

Ukraine’s government has claimed that 300 pro-Russian separatist fighters have been killed and around 500 wounded, as their offensive in eastern Ukraine continues.

Government forces are continuing with their attack on the eastern city of Slaviansk and its surrounding areas, Reuters reports. Ukrainian soldiers used aircraft, helicopters and artillery in a bid to expel the occupying pro-Russian separatists. A spokesperson for the government’s “anti-terrorist operation” stated that 300 rebels had been killed in the fighting which began on Tuesday.

This figure has been hotly denied by Aleksander Boroday, the separatists’ self-appointed “prime-minister”. Boroday is reported by Interfax news agency as commenting, “reports of 300 dead are not true. Losses to the Ukrainian side were more than ours.”

The fighting in the Slaviansk region follows clashes in and around Donetsk and near Luhansk as Kiev attempts to root out pro-Russian elements in east Ukraine.

Initial operations against the rebels began in April but were beset by desertions and loss of equipment. Following Petro Poroshenko’s presidential election victory on 25 May, operations were resumed and with added vigor. In a speech in Warsaw today, US President Barack Obama condemned Russian “aggression” within Ukraine and earlier pledged his support to Poroshenko.

[Reuters]

Your browser, Internet Explorer 8 or below, is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 46,427 other followers