TIME Food Safety

Florida Family Hospitalized After Eating LSD-Laced Steak

171154555
Meat department in a supermarket Getty Images

The Tampa Police Department determined that a bottom round steak purchased from Walmart -- which prompted a family of four to be hospitalized -- was contaminated with LSD and is calling it an isolated incident

A family in Tampa, Florida consumed steak contaminated with the drug LSD, sending them all to the hospital, Tampa Police Department said Thursday.

Ronnie Morales, his girlfriend who was nine months pregnant, and her two girls aged seven and six were hospitalized Monday with a “mysterious illness” that caused the children to hallucinate. Hospital staff induced labor, but all four patients were released in good condition Wednesday, and the baby boy was healthy.

After investigating the food eaten by the family, the Tampa Police Department determined that a bottom round steak purchased from Walmart was contaminated with LSD. The police said results from toxicology samples of the victims will be available in three weeks.

The police, who said this is an isolated incident, are examining meat from the Walmart store and are still working to determine if a crime occurred.

Your browser, Internet Explorer 8 or below, is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser