TIME

London Fire Blamed on Bird Carrying Cigarette

No one was hurt

Firefighters believe a bird carrying a cigarette caused a fire in a London building last night.

In a statement, Fire Investigation Officer Matt Cullen said, “Neighbours told us they often saw birds flying in and out of a hole in the roof. We believe that one of the birds picked up a cigarette butt that was still smouldering and dropped it into the nest, causing it to catch fire and set the roof alight.”

Nine people fled the building in the city’s Stockwell neighborhood when the fire broke out, but no injuries have been reported.

On Twitter, the London Fire Brigade retweeted a joke from a local retailer:

(h/t BBC)

Your browser, Internet Explorer 8 or below, is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites.

Learn how to update your browser
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 45,298 other followers